Monday, January 12, 2009

And so it begins.....

Another school year :-)

Today was our first day back at school for 2009. I know we're two weeks early, but the kids were excited to start (they saw their new supplies and were begging to use them, Mum was keen too) and with a bub due in April we thought strike while the irons hot and get the term underway.

I've just spent the last week lesson planing, book covering and after 3 yrs of home schooling have finally set up a functioning school shelf and have gotten ourselves well and truly organised for the year.

So here's what our 2009 school journey looks like so far (click on images to enlarge) :

8

8

8

8

8

8

8

8

8
The stack of books I just covered in contact......48 in total......... I actually enjoy it........ I'm a bit sick that way........ Hannah was eyeing off the job........ I'm getting nervous of the potential competition........ There are a few things in life I'm anal about they are, 1. How you hang out clothes & 2. how you cover books. .............. Hands off my books Hannah!!!
8
8
8
8
8
8
8
8
8
8
8
8
8
8
8
8
8
8
8
The book shelf. We have two of these shelves in our lounge, either side of the couch. One is right next to the hall and easily accessible, the other one is tucked away in a corner. This one used to hold, nick nacks etc and a few books. The stuff that it held was really more for looking at then getting access to, meanwhile the one in the corner pretty much sat empty. On the weekend I had a brain wave that I could put all the school stuff on the easily accessible one, and all the "look at stuff" on the hard to get to shelf. The kids stuff is colour co-ordinated, Holly is purple, Hannah pink & Mitch blue.
8
8
8
8
8
8
8
8
8
8
8
8
8
8
8
8
8
8
This is our work chart. I print off two of these each week. One goes on the wall for everyone to see and then the 2nd one I cut up so the kids can each have just their day with them at their desk. It helps them and me keep track of what's still to go. Last year Hannah had a habit of convenietnly forgetting to do half of her English. Also this way it makes it a little easier if someone else needs to supervise for the day, what needs to be done is already worked out.
*
*
Today was an interesting day, we started late as I was still getting a few things together & I had to leave at 12:45 for Cowper's follow up appointment at the hospital. Mitch did really well and had all his work done before I left, Holly had nearly all hers done & well Hannah, she'd only managed her math through lots of tears and just having a general "woe is me day". She even tried cheating on her speed drill by doing a few of them before she went into Mark to get timed. Just wasn't her day lol. So when I got home at 3:30pm she still had reading, phonics, grammar & social science to go. But her attitude was better. I could have shrugged it off and said "Oh well I did have to go out, let's just forget it" but I didn't want to reward her poor form in the morning. This was the end result, she did her school work late in the afternoon outside on a rug while I got the washing done. It's amazing how well she can get her work done out there. And that's the beauty of home schooling.. flexibility :-)
8
8
8
8
8
8
8
8
8
8
8
8
8
8
88
8
8
8
8
8
8
8
8
8
8
8
8
88
8
8
8
8
8
8
And just because they looked cute........
*

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Sal,
Sounds like your school year is off to an excellent start!!! That was a super brain wave. I love when those brain waves happen. I've had a few over the nursery recently on how to fit the nursery in without packing up and losing my scrapping table (at least until bub is 12 months or so anyway). Some children do strive in the outdoors environment learning, so as u say flexibility of home schooling is a great thing. How did Cowper's follow up go?? all good i hope.
Tracy

lusi said...

Yay mate! Sounds like it was a great first day. I too love that flexibility! I'm sure it's something i'm going to get more and more used to as the days roll on. Hannah looks so relaxed out there and like she's enjoying schooling; good on you mum!
Thanks for posting your pics - your shelf is awesome mate; so organised and ready! I love having a place for everything (even if everything is not always in its place!) lol :)
And thanks again Sal for all your sharing and support - you are a beautiful sister :)
Love Lus x

DenimAngel said...

Okay I'm covering books now and the contact is just terrible. Can I ask, what brand of contact do you prefer? Let us know so I can stock up for the years to come.
Oh and wonderful news on Cowps blood tests.
Susan